Desk: Just a few hours later the year 2017 will turn into a history. The year witnessed many upheavals across the world. As far as India is considered, politics and Bollywood grabbed a major chunk of top headlines throughout the year. As we prepare to welcome the year 2018, here’s a flashback of those top events. There were plenty of them in 2017, which dominated the news space.
- In a landmark 4:5 judgement, the Supreme Court of India held that an appeal for votes during elections on the basis of religion, caste, race, community or language, even that of the electorate, will amount to a ‘corrupt practice’ and call for disqualification of the candidate in any election.
- Nuclear capable intercontinental ballistic missile Agni-IV missile tested successfully off the coast of Odisha by the Indian security forces.
- Sudip Bandopadhaya has been arrested by the CBI in the connection with ‘Rose Valley’ chit-fund case.
- The annual budget for the union government has been present by Finance Minister Arun Jaitlet in the Lok Sabha after demonetization.
- The 92 year old railway budget has been discontinued and merged into general budget.
- The Indian Space Research Organization launches PSLV-C37 and sends 104 satellites from 7 countries into orbit, the highest ever in the history of space exploration.
- Alcohol has been banned in Bihar.
- AIADMK’s leader and Tamil Nadu CM Edappadi K. Palaniswami won the elections of Tamil Nadu
- CPI(M) leader Ritabrata Banerjee held for his lavish lifestyle and suspended from the party.
- The Indian Navy’s oldest serving aircraft carrier INS Vikrant has been decommissioned after 30 years of service.
- ISIS attack in Bhopal-Ujjain passenger train, left 9 people injured.
- Manohar Parrikar took oath as Goa’s new CM.
- Yogi Adityanath took oath as UP’s new CM.
- Rupali Basu resigns from Apollo’s CEO post in Kolkata.
- Superpower drone has been made by the Kharagpur IIT’s students.
- The Supreme Court confirmed the ban on liquor vends within 500 m of state and national highways will include pubs, bars, hotels, and restaurants that serve alcohol.
- Gujarat’s Animal Preservation Bill was amended to make the maximum punishment for cow slaughter life imprisonment.
- The West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee named Jhargram as 23nd district of the state.
- The Pakistani military court awarded a death sentence to Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav.
- Model and anchor Sonika Chouhan died in a car accident in Kolkata.
- Lal Krishna Advani, Uma Bharati Murli Manohar Joshi gets bail in Babri Masjid case by the Supreme Court.
- Gorkhaland Agitations in Darjeeling, West Bengal.
- ISRO puts 31 satellites including 29 satellites from others countries through PSLV C-38 successfully.
- The India-China Doklam face-off took place.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has received the highest prize in United Nations Public Service Award for the state government’s ‘Kanyashree Prakalpa’ scheme in the Hague, Netherlands.
- Goods and Services Tax (India) launched in India. The India’s biggest tax reform in 70 years of independence was launched at midnight of 30 June 2017.
- 3 terrorist shot dead in Badgam. 3 terrorist of Jaish-e-Mohammad shot dead in Tral of Jammu & Kashmir by Indian militant.
- Ram Nath Kovind took oath as 14th President of India.
- Nitish Kumar (JDU) resigns as Chief Minister of Bihar, breaking the coalition with RJD & Indian National Congress.
- NDA (JDU + BJP) led government comes in Bihar. Nitish Kumar and Sushil Modi took oath as chief minister and vice chief minister of Bihar respectively.
- Lashkar-E-Taiba militant Abu Dujana Shot dead by Indian Army In Jammu and Kashmir.
- Venkaiah Naidu took oath as 13th Vice President of India.
- Supreme Court bans instant triple talaq calling it unconstitutional. Instructed central government to pass law in parliament for triple talaq.
- Dipak Misra sworn in as 45th chief justice of India.
- CBI special court sentenced Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh 20 years jail in verdict of rape case.
- India China agree to end border stand-off in Doklam as both nations withdrew their armies from the disputed region.
- 290 children have died at BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur due to lack of oxygen.
- ISRO launch of navigation satellite IRNSS 1H failed after heat shield does not detach.
- Nirmala Sitharaman became defence minister of India.
- Gauri Lankesh, senior journalist shot dead in Bangalore.
- Japan PM Shinzo Abe visited Ahmadabad for bilateral talk, signed many agreement including Bullet Train project in India.
- 22 killed, many injured when a stampede occurred on the Lower Parel and Prabhadevi stations in Mumbai
- Long time Congress party leader joins Trinamool Congress party in Sabang, West Bengal.
- India hosted the 2017 FIFA U-17 world cup for the first time. India failed to make it beyond the group stage.
- Air force chopper crashed near Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh during training sortie.7 died.
- Kolkata Police SI Amitabha Malik was killed in Darjeeling by the Bimal Gurung’s followers.
- Ashish Nehra retired from International Cricket.
- Shreyas Iyer made his T20I debut against New Zealand at New Delhi
- 32 died in NTPC boiler explosion. More than 100 injured.
- Mohammed Siraj made his T20I Debut against New Zealand at Rajkot
- Manushi Chhillar won the 6th Miss World crown for India in Sanya, China.
- West Bengal received the GI status, which clarified that the tag was only for “Banglar Rasogolla”, and should not be seen as a decision on the sweet’s origin.
- 3 suspected terrorists from the al-Qaeda terror organization have been arrested by the Special Task Force of Kolkata from the Kolkata Station.
- 1 suspected terrorist from the banned Ansarullah Bangla Team (ABT) has been arrested by Kolkata STF.
- The heavy-weight TMC party leader Mukul Roy joins the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of West Bengal.
- Mirabai Chanu wins the maiden gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, USA.
- The Indian Women’s Hockey Team secured their place for the 2018 World Cup as they completed a historic win over China in the women’s Hockey Asia Cup 2017.
- Rajasthan religious group ‘Karni Sena’ threatened the talented director Sanjay Leela Bhansali for his historical drama ‘Padmavati’.
- Cyclone Ockhi hits Tamil Nadu and Kerala causing many deaths.
- Mani Shankar Aiyar removed from Congress.
- Shreyas Iyer made his ODI debut against Sri Lanka at Dharamsala.
- 5 soldiers missing as the avalanche hits Gurez sector in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Rohit Sharma scored the third double century in ODIs against Sri Lanka.
- The Bharatiya Janata Party wins the majority of the seats in the recently concluded Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh assembly elections.
- Kohli hit another double-ton and slammed his 6th double century in Test Cricket.
- Superstar Rajnikanth confirmes his entry into politics.
- Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma tied a knot in Italy.